Alexa For Seniors: 21 Extremely Practical Ways Older Adults Can Use Amazon Echo Devices adapted from https://thehelpinghome.com
We live in an exciting time when technology can play a huge role in helping us age well. In particular, Amazon Echo devices are very well-suited to make life easier for older adults. Here are 21 incredibly practical tips on how to leverage the power of Amazon Alexa for seniors.
1. Quickly Check the Weather- Just ask, “Alexa, what’s the weather?” or “Alexa, what is the forecast for tomorrow?" You can use ask for any day, date, or time.
2. Keep Track of Lists- Start by saying, “Alexa, create a list.” Alexa will then ask you to name the list. Create as many lists as you’d like: to-do lists, shopping lists, holiday gift lists, etc. To add something to a list, say: “Alexa, add an item to my holiday gift list” and then say what you’d like to be added, do the same to remove an item.When you want to know what’s currently on a list, simply ask “Alexa, what’s on my holiday gift list?” Your Echo will announce the list aloud and your Echo Show will display it for you to see.
3. Get the Date and Time Fast- Quickly get the date and time by saying “Alexa, what is today’s date?” and “Alexa, what time is it?”
4. Easily Manage Your Calendar- Give your Amazon Echo and Echo Show the responsibility of managing your calendar so you can stay on top of doctor appointments, outings with friends, birthdays, and all the rest of life’s events. Putting plans up on your calendar is simple; say, “Alexa, add an event to my calendar” and give the name of the event along with the date and time when prompted.
5. Set Medication Reminders- Using Alexa to set medication reminders can be extremely helpful for taking your medications on the right days and at the right times. Say, “Alexa, remind me to take my medications every day at 9am.” If you have multiple medications that need to be taken at different times, then you can set reminders for each particular medication.
6. Sharpen Your Mind with Trivia Games- Play fun trivia games that offer your mind an entertaining challenge. Games like Question of the Day and Jeopardy are very popular (and free!). There are also several other trivia and puzzle games that you can find in the Alexa skills database.
7. Listen to Audio Books- If you have a subscription to Audible, you can have Alexa play your Audible books for you. Just say, “Alexa, play the Audible book ‘Moby Dick'." Alexa can read books from your Kindle as well. Say, “Alexa, play the Kindle book ‘The Odyssey'."
8. Play Music- If you have an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription you can have Alexa play music for you on your Echo device. Ask Alexa to play specific artists, albums, songs, genres, and stations. For example, say “Alexa, play The Beatles” or “Alexa, play the Blues.”
9. Hear the Latest News- All you need to do is ask “Alexa, what’s the news?” and you’ll hear a briefing of the most recent news headlines.
10. Stay Fit and Exercise- There are several exercise programs that you can find in the Alexa skills database, so experiment with a few and find the ones that best fit your needs.
11. Easily Track Down Your Cell Phone- Activate the 'Find My Phone' skill and let Alexa find your phone for you! All you need to do is say “Alexa, find my phone” and your phone will receive a call that will set off the ringer so you can find it.
12. Alert a Loved One When You Need Help- The 'Ask My Buddy' skill let’s you tell Alexa to contact a loved one. You just need to enter the phone numbers of your contacts and you’re all set. If and when you need help, say “Alexa, ask my buddy to send help” and your contacts will receive alerts.
13. Control Your Cell Phone with Voice Commands- Enable the 'Mastermind' skill and say “Alexa, ask Mastermind to make a phone call” or send texts “Alexa, ask Mastermind to send message”.
14. Create an Intercom System for Your House- When you’re trying to reach someone in another part of the home, simply say “Alexa, announce that dinner is ready” and the announcement will broadcast on every Echo device in your home.
15. Get Your Daily Dose of Encouragement- Enable the 'Daily Morning Affirmations' skill for your Echo device and Alexa will share a word of encouragement. Say “Alexa, open Daily Morning Affirmations” and make your selection from there. Start your day off right!
16. Take a Moment to Relax- Activate the 'Peaceful Meditation' skill for your Echo device and say “Alexa, open Peaceful Meditation” to enjoy a moment of relaxation.
17. Safely Find Your Way at Night- Enable the 'Night Light' skill to create a night light out of your Echo devices. Say “Alexa, open Night Light” and the light on top of your Echo device will illuminate. And say “Alexa, stop” to turn the light back off.
18. Voice Control Other Devices at Home- Create a Smart Home through interconnected devices and automation.
19. Shop Online- With an Amazon Prime membership, you just have to say “Alexa, order paper towels”
20. Get Driving Directions- Alexa's 'I’m Driving skill' lets you program up to five of your most traveled to destinations into the application
21. Tell Your Car to Start - If your car includes a remote start feature, then you can add your brand’s connected car skill to your Echo device and get the engine going with just a simple command: “Alexa, ask Lexus to start my car.”